Friday, August 28, 2009

Berne Switzerland

I arrived in Bern on Thursday night around 10:00 pm. I was a little bit worried about finding my hostel on my own in the dark with no real help except for a few directionst hat I wasnt sure about. However depsite the small signs I was able to find the hostel. Its funny waking up here in the city and having no idea what anything looks like because it was dark when I arrived the night before.

There was a tourist center at the train station I remembered so I went back there, snce that was pretty much the only place I knew. Since this is the capital of Switzerland its always busy here and is kind of hectic with the busses and the trams running everywhere. Walking awa and left from the train station is the main street that leads into the old town. There are some really cool things that just lie on this street alone. I think my favorite is that many small local shops are located underneath the buildings. Their entrances are like old cellar doors and you have to go down really steep steps to get to them. In the old town there are tons of statues on the buildings and fountains everywhere that depict different parts of the Bern history.

The highlight of today was definately Einsteins apartment. He lived in Bern for 7 years and in this apartment he created the E=mc2 formula. I felt a little bit smarter leaving his apartment. Since my trip is winding down m just kind of taking all things in and just enjoying the fact that Im in Europe. The river runs right through the city dividing the old town with the residential areas in the hills. Kind of awesome views everywhere.

Since arriving in Europe I havent been able to shake this cold and so I came back to the hostel in the afternoon and took a 2.5 hour nap and im still tired. However Im not going to let that stop me tomorrow. tomorrow Im traveling to a small town, Grindelwald where I can take a tram to the top of some mountain and see almost to the Swiss border! If the weather isnt so great Ill probably just hike around on the nature trails and what not. Itll be good exercise thats for sure.

Frankfurt on sunday and my flight leaves monday morning... cant believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment