Saturday, August 15, 2009

Things I've Noticed That Are Different

First of all I made it to Brussels...not happy. I dont like it here. I got lost for about an hour trying to find my freaking hostel, that was not fun. It was hott and I had all my stuff with me which did not help. Next a man saw I was lost and offered to help me by taking me to his car w GPS. YEAH RIGHT. I'm not dumb. Then he at least pointed me in "the right direction". Which turned out he didn't even know where I was supposed to be going. So i was like a mile far away from where I was supposed to be. After about an hour of walking around I finally found the hostel but couldn't check in until 2:00, it was 1:00ish. I finally get checked in and walked around near the Grand Place.

Okay that place was kinda cool. All of these really old mansions all in the same square that are now musuems and Hotel de ville and restaurants. Its a holiday here in Belguim today and tomorrow, I still have yet to figure out what exacty it is but there are TONS of people here. A fountain statue was altered for the occasion with a small child peeing Beer... these people are nuts.

But anyway now onto the things I've noticed:

1. People bring their dogs everywhere, and they're allowed to go pretty much everywhere. Restaurants, trains, busses, you name it they're there.
2. The dogs are really well behaved but people aren''t always too thrilled about you petting them for some reason .
3. Trains are a way of life here. Everyone depends on them and unlike the US they are always on time. Always (at least so i've noticed)
4. No one drinks tap water. It's all bottled. Sparkling or Flat. I've been drinking the tap water. It's fine.
5. There is no ice anywhere. If you ask for ice you maybe get like 2 cubes in your glass. Plus the fridges don't make things very cold so I'm getting used to drinking luke warm Coke Light.
6. Computers are not big here. While everywhere I've gone has internet access, the computers are generic and weird. Not to mention the keyboards are all different. I've encountered 2 American keyboards so far.
7. People are a lot nicer than we assume. Everyone is friendly for the most part as long as you ar friendly as well.
8. Everyone can speak enough English to at least carry on a conversation w/ anyone else who speaks english. And actually in regular conversation a lot of people mix english and their native language.
9. Not everyone is on their cellphones 24/7 like majority of Americans are all the time.
10. I miss my family a lot.
11. Churches kick the crap out of our churches in the US. They are elaborate and magnificent. Jesus is kind of a big deal ;)
12. Belguim waffles are the shit. dont say youve had a good belguim waffle in the US, they don't exist. These are just incredible.
13. Our oldest buildings in the US are babies compared to majority of the buildings around here. Going through cities and seeing ones built in the 1200 and 1300s just makes anything we've got here in the US not that old.
14. College=high school. university= college. When i tell people i've graduated from college they immediately think i'm 18. I have to get used to saying University.
15. Everyone walks everywhere, or takes their bikes. Unlike the US they don't use their car to go to the local store. They'll ride their bike w/ a basket to carry their groceries.
16. Plastic bags don't exist. Everyone uses reusable bags. They're economical, I don't understand why we won't use them.
17. I miss my dogs.
18. People don't know who DMB is. Yes that's shocking to me especially since they were just here for a few weeks touring. I educated a few guys from the hostel in brugges about how awesome they are ;)
19. No ESPN... i'm dying. I would even watch bike racing if it meant I got to watch sports.
20. No one cares about American Football. They think it's stupid.


I will add more as I go. I'm a little lonely in Brussels I think getting so frustrated today didn't help my experience here. I'm going to go to the train station early tomorrow with hopes I can get on an earlier train to Paris and then figure out how i'm going to get to the Florence since according to the lady at the Brussels station, the night train doesn't exist... didn't want to say it to her face but she's stupid cause i found it online.

1 comment:

  1. "No one cares about American Football. They think it's stupid."

    Yep, and those 4 hour 1-0 soccer matches are absolutely thrilling. :)

    ReplyDelete