Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Day of Traveling

Starting at 430 this morning I woke up to catch my train out of Arles, finally... Not that I didnt love the city because I did its incredible, but from friday to tuesday was a little long for me. thank god for the pont du gard to help break up that stay a little bit.

My train out of Arles left at 552 this morning and I went straight to Lyon, where I transferred onto the TGV to Paris. As we were nearing Lyon at one of the stops some older wealthy french ladies sat down in the seats next to me. Now I may not speak or understand French very well, but I knew they were talking about me when they realized, or thought I couldnt understand them. Some of the phrases I got were shes so underdressed, looks like a slob, wearing her glasses, no make up. Now ladies I may not wear my gold jewelry when im traveling at 552 in the morning, but believe me, i clean up nice. On the TGV from Lyon to Paris, which was full, I was stuck next to a guy who snored the entire way and smelled of kitty litter. I dont get how the french can spend SO much on perfume, but nothing on deodorant. News flash: PERFUME IS NOT DEODORANT!!!!!!!!!

I got into Bayeux around 3 pm today after getting my ticket to Bern in the Gare de Lyon station in Paris. apparently something happened to the train on the way back from Bayeux so it was about a half an hour late. Checked into my hotel and immediately went to the tourist office to reserve my spot on a tour tomorrow. Good thing I got there when I did because I got the last seat on the tour in the morning for 830-1200. This tour does the American beach Omaha, Pont du Hoc and the American Cemetary. Once thats done Im going to catch the train to Caen and go to the WWII museum in town there. Its supposed to be incredible, one of the best french museums.

I have always been bummed that I missed out on the Pearl Harbor trip when we went on our training trip to Hawaii freshman year (i was sick with sun poisoning). This for me is really important and to me its paying respect to everyone who has served our country or any country in WWII.

One of the main attractions here in Bayeux is a 1000 year old tapestry sewn by women during the Norman Invasion in 1066. Its incredible because it tells the entire story and despite all its history of being used and in churches that have burned down but somehow it surived, its incredible. The smallest details from the Haleys Comet to Harold being killed by an arrow through his eyes.

Tomorrow is a busy day and ive been up since 430, which means im going to bed at 730, yes i know im a loser but i dont care. Ive got a good book and some Orangina to drink so im happy : )

No comments:

Post a Comment