Saturday, August 29, 2009

Grindelwald

Got up this morning and took the train to Interlaken. These trains are a little bit different because going through the mountains require them to slow down and be careful... a little nervewrecking. But arriving at Interlaken the lake that this city lies in is BEAUTIFUL. Honestly Ive never seen more blue water in my life. From Interlaken I took another train to Grindelwald, a small hiking town at the base of the Alps. After walking around for a little bit I finally went up. I took the Gondola, Munnlichen, up about half way and for some reason was totally freaked out. Ive been on tons of gondolas and ski lifts but I guess being on my own and it being summer just creeped me out. Going up the mountainat around 2000 m it started to get really cloudy. Seriously I couldnt see the next tower for the lift until it was about 50 ft away.

I got off at the last station and couldnt see ANYTHING. Oh and it was FREEZING!!!!!!!!! I not being an experienced hiker didnt realize it would be that cold there. I was only in shorts and my Big East zip up hoodie. The trail I intially took was nice and easy over to the train station that takes you to to Jungfraujoch, the Top of Europe as they claim. its one of the highest points in the Alps that people are able to acces by train. Unfortunately it was like a bajillion swiss francs to go so I wasnt able to get to the top. Instead I found a few more trails to hike on and just enjoy being out in the open.

By mid afternoon my legs were worn out so I took the train, no I could not get back in that Gondola again, back down to Grindelwald to go to the other side of the city and try to hike to a near by glacier. I got to the other gondola lift and before I could go up noticed the sign that the trail was closed for the weekend, ughhhh. It was closed due to boulders that had fallen and blocked the path so they wouldnt be able to reopen it until it was safe again. So instead I had to deal with just taking pictures of the glacier from far away. Oh well.

Got on the train back to Interlaken-Bern in the afternoon and its only 7:00 but im exhausted. For me this could not have been a better way to end the trip. It was a bummer I couldnt get to Barcelona and had to change things around but I think its all worked out for the better so Im happy with what I got to do. I mean come on, Im in Europe Id be happy just about anywhere.

Tomorrow my train for Frankfurt leaves around 1:00 pm so I get in around 5:00. I plan on going to the hotel and if they by some random act of God have a bathtub (or even a hottub or pool) I will submerge myself for hours. Flight leaves at 11:00 on Monday.


"would you not like to be sitting on top of the world with your legs hanging free?"

No comments:

Post a Comment