Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pont du Gard

So in order to get me out of my depression in Arles I took a day trip to Pont du Gard. The bus to PdG is in the sketchy bus station in Avignon and it left at 1045 then all of a sudden it was 1045 and it said it had already left, when it most definately didnt show up. There was an elder scottish couple who were there waiting as well and just as soon as we decided to split a cab (about 40€) it whoed up. its about a 45 minute ride from Avignon to PdG.

This place is incredible. Is there anything the Romans didnt contribute with for modern day????? This is the first of modern day plumbing that the world had seen and its still standing today. The area around it is incredible and resembles what it always has been, just a nice park area. The bridge towers of the ravine of the river and its just too cool. You can walk under neath it, or in the canals where the water flowed on top ( with a guide that i missed the tour for unforunately).

On either bank and side of the PdG people can swim in the river and jump off the rocks. If I had known I could have done this I would have brought my bathing suit... wait, what was stopping me anyway. I found a nice family who also had a VERY cute jack russell terrier as well who were jumping off the rocks that had a towel i could borrow. It was my turn, i took my shoes off, and jumped, YES with my clothes on :) It was so sunny and so hott it was worth it and I dried off by the time i had to catch the bus back to avignon. it was totally worth it.

I leave for Normandy via Paris now early in the morning (552 am) on tuesday so tomorrow i shall relax do laundry and enjoy some cafe food at Cafe au Nuit ( yes the famous one from the van gogh painting)

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment