Friday, August 14, 2009

In Brugges

this is my new favorite city, ever. omg is this place amazing. if youve seen the movie it really looks just like it, cause it is it ;). but seriously its just incredible. i got in yesterday around noon and being on my own now is kinda weird but nice at the same time. After checking in at the hostel i just wanted to walk around town for a while and just see what it was all about.

The first place I went into a church that holds Michaelangelos Madonna with Child. This church was spectacular. Every other church that i have been to has been standard and similar in a lot of ways but this one is just dedicated to Madonna with Child. Righ across the street is the oldest Hospital in the world built in the 12th century and has the first pharmacy located in it. I walked around for a while and found a local chocolate and candy shop. They have these unusual candies that are cone shaped and chewy on the outside with a syrup on the inside. Theyre odd but good. The chocolate though, omg omg omg. Wow just incredible. so rich and smooth just mmmmmmmmmmm

After i had my chocolate fill I found the Basicila of the Holy Blood. This church contains a vial of Jesus Christs blood brought during the Crusades in the 12th century. Surprisingly there are no big tourists signs ands it just a small basicila with this throne and the vial. They have construced a encasing around it so people can touch it and say their prayers. Now most of you know im not religious at all, at all but this was still very moving and just incredible to see something so powerful yet so small.

The buildings here are unlike any i have ever seen. Its an unusual architecture and its just really cool. yesterday my camera ran out of batteries so i postponed going up into the Bell Tower, many of you know from the movie In Brugges. Instead I went to a local bar met a few locals and just drank local beers all night. I met a nice couple from Philly who were there on their honeymoon and we bonded over our love for Reggie White.

This morning I got up and took one of the boat tours on the canal around Brugges. I dont really like doing those touristy things but this was really cool cause he showed us a lot of small things. I spent the day just walking around the town going into small shops and just enjoying the town. I had my first real Belguim Waffle today with whipped cream and strawberries, omg so good so good so good. Finally i got the courage to go up the bell tower.

The Belfort stands 83 m high, there are no elevators. 366 steps up a small winding staircase. I think i lost 10 lbs it was so hard. Forget staduims in college, this was 100 times worse. But totally worth it. You can see the ENTIRE city from the top and on really good days you can see the North Sea. I couldnt :(These winding stair cases are so small you have to take turns passing people and standing by the wall, im surprised as the klutz that i am didnt fall. Tonight i found some local food and enjoyed a nice dinner on my own. i have to make sure that i keep talking to people and not being afraid to meet new people. Pretty much anytime i hear english ill say something cause it makes me feel more comfortable.

Miss everyone lots!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ok so now that you're alone I want you to be extra careful!!! lol sounds like you are having an amazing time... its nice to read these things and see Europe through your eyes. Have fun meeting new people... its what you do best!!!! LOVES YOU.

    ReplyDelete